|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the song or the character with the same name.|
"Cry Baby" is the debut studio album by American singer-songwriter Melanie Martinez. It was released on Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Atlantic Records through digital download, CD and vinyl. Cry Baby debuted in the top 10 on the Billboard 200 albums chart, coming in at #6 with 40,000 total copies sold in its first week. The album also topped the alternative albums chart by coming in at #1. It was also certified Platinum on February 24th, 2017, by RIAA.
Her tour called the Cry Baby Tour is focused on the album, and began soon after Cry Baby was released. Before this, there were three intimate concerts debuting stripped down versions of some of the songs.
Melanie Martinez began recording for her debut album soon after she was eliminated from The Voice. She had an acoustic album completely done around 2013 and was ready to put it out, although she decided against it. Later, she finished her song Dollhouse and changed her whole sound after discovering how much she liked this new sound. She discarded the tracks from the finished album and began working on new music.
In May of 2014, Melanie put out her Dollhouse EP, and announced that summer that she hoped to have her album out around October. When October came, Melanie released the video for Carousel and postponed her release date for her album, and stated that she hoped to have it out in spring. Around this time.
That spring, Kinetics & One Love announced that all of the vocals for Melanie's album were finished, and Melanie officially announced that her album would be titled "Cry Baby". Melanie began teasing some titles for tracks.
The first single was Pity Party and was confirmed on May 27th, 2015. The music video was accidentally leaked by Melanie herself on May 29th, but she later tweeted that she was happy and excited for the fans who had seen it and promised there was "more to come" during her live stream on June 1st. It was officially released on the day of the live stream.
During the livestream, Melanie annouced that the release day of Cry Baby would be in August. She also revealed that it would be available to preorder soon.
The second single, Soap, was confirmed in late June and it was announced soon before it was to be released on July 10th. It leaked a day earlier. The one-shot music video came out the same day.
On July 16, the album art and release date were leaked on Amazon, although the release date was false. On July 17, the album art was officially revealed and merch bundles were available to preorder on Melanie's website, with the digital preorder on July 24. Before the 24th, the tracklist of the album was leaked, although the websites that leaked it replaced Tag, You're It with Jump Rope and Play Date with Half Hearted. The tracklist was officially revealed on the 24th with the preorder.
Starting on July 27, Melanie released a snippet of each song (apart from the ones on the deluxe edition) on her Instagram page. On July 28, Melanie released the snippet for Sippy Cup and announced that it would be released on July 31. On July 30, SPIN Magazine premiered the video and Sippy Cup was released the day after.
The album was released on August 14th. The cd was packaged as a storybook, with jewel case cd's available later. Both a picture disk and a standard black vinyl were released in the future. Cassettes were then released, advertised as being in yellow, white, and pink. There is also a less common green cassette. All physical copies of the album are the standard explicit, with the deluxe and clean being digital exclusives.
Cry Baby Coloring Book was released at Barnes & Noble on November 29, 2016.
This album tells the story of Cry Baby, a fantasy version of Melanie Martinez when she was a child, and a representation of her vulnerable and messed up side. Melanie claims that many of the things that have happened to Cry Baby are similar to the things that have happened in her own life,  except where she gets kidnapped and where she kills her kidnapper. Each song on the tracklist is titled something childhood related, while the actual message being crossed to the listener carries more adult-like themes and problems.
The storybook available in the preorder bundle features rhymes and illustrations based on the album, written by Melanie herself, and the illustrations were drawn by Chloe Tersigni.
- Cry Baby (featured in all videos).
- Mom (featured in Sippy Cup, Cry Baby, and Dollhouse).
- Alphabet Boy (featured in Alphabet Boy as well as Carousel).
- Johnny (featured in Soap, Training Wheels, and mentioned in Pity Party).
- Big Bad Wolf (featured in Tag, You're It and Milk and Cookies).
- Bunny Doctor (featured in Cry Baby and Mrs. Potato Head).
- Dad (featured in Sippy Cup and Dollhouse).
- Brother (featured in Cry Baby and Dollhouse).
- Basic Bitch (featured in Pacify Her).
- Blue Boy (featured in Pacify Her).
- Mrs. Potato Head (featured in Mrs. Potato Head).
- Mr. Potato Head (featured in Mrs. Potato Head)
- Nurse (featured in Cry Baby).
- Cashier (featured in Tag, You're It).
- Mr. Potato Head's Lover (featured in Mrs. Potato Head).
- Beth Anne (mentioned in Pity Party).
- Cry Baby's house (featured in Cry Baby, Pity Party, Pacify Her, Tag, You're It and Mrs Potato Head).
- Big Bad Wolf's house (featured in Milk and Cookies).
- Grocery store (featured in Tag, You're It).
- Hospital (featured in Cry Baby and Mrs. Potato Head).
- Carnival (featured in Carousel).
There are 13 tracks on the CD with 3 additional for the deluxe version. 40 songs were originally recorded for Cry Baby but more than half of them did not make it into the album. You can view some of the names on this page. It was said that the songs on the album tell a story in chronological order. This was confirmed on Melanie's Instagram.
Soap was released July 10th, and Sippy Cup was released July 31st.
There is both an explicit version of the album and a clean version.
- "*" = a song that has both explicit and clean versions.
|1.||"Cry Baby"*||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:59|
|2.||"Dollhouse"||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers, Adriel Terrazas||Kinetics & One Love||3:51|
|3.||"Sippy Cup"*||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:15|
|4.||"Carousel"||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:50|
|5.||"Alphabet Boy"*||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinectics & One Love||4:13|
|6.||"Soap"||Melanie Martinez, Emily Warren, Kyle Shearer||Kyle Shearer, Daniel Weber||3:29|
|7.||"Training Wheels"*||Melanie Martinez, Scott Hoffman||Babydaddy||3:25|
|8.||"Pity Party"||Melanie Martinez, Christopher J. Baran, Kara DioGuardi||Christopher J. Baran, Kara DioGuardi||3:24|
|9.||"Tag, You're It"||Melanie Martinez, Scott Harris, Rick Markowitz||SmarterChild, Michael Miller||3:09|
|10.||"Milk and Cookies"*||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Rick Markowitz||SmarterChild, Michael Keenan||3:26|
|11.||"Pacify Her"||Melanie Martinez, Chloe Angelides, Michael Keenan||Michael Keenan||3:40|
|12.||"Mrs. Potato Head"||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinectics & One Love||3:37|
|13.||"Mad Hatter"||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Bryan Fryzel, Aaron Kleinstub||Frequency, Aalias||3:21|
|14.||"Play Date"*||Melanie Martinez, Jennifer Decilveo||Michael Keenan, Jennifer Decilveo||2:59|
|15.||"Teddy Bear"*||Melanie Martinez, Phoebe Ryan, Felix Snow||Felix Snow||4:05|
|16.||"Cake"||Melanie Martinez, Christopher J. Baran||Christopher J. Baran||3:19|
|No.||Title||Release Date of Music Video||Length of Music Video|
|1.||Cry Baby||March 14, 2016||6:06|
|2.||Dollhouse||February 9, 2014||4:25|
|3.||Sippy Cup||July 31, 2015||3:21|
|4.||Carousel||October 15, 2014||3:50|
|5.||Alphabet Boy||June 2, 2016||4:20|
|6.||Soap||November 18, 2015||4:24|
|7.||Training Wheels||November 18, 2015||3:49|
|8.||Pity Party||June 1, 2015||3:39|
|9.||Tag, You're It||August 23, 2016||3:14|
|10.||Milk and Cookies||August 23, 2016||3:30|
|11.||Pacify Her||November 15, 2016||3:45|
|12.||Mrs. Potato Head||December 1, 2016||5:32|
|13.||Mad Hatter||TBA 2017||TBA|
- Some of the original album title ideas that didn't make the cut were "Animal Crackers", "Toy Chest", and "Coloring Book". 
- In some of the physical story books, there is a spelling mistake with the word "vulnerable" on the page for Tag, You're It. it is misspelled as "vunerable".
- The album was originally going to have a more acoustic pop sound, with more pop oriented songs. That album was scrapped and afterwards, there was going to be a full album called Dollhouse, based on the EP of the same name, but that was also scrapped.
- Melanie plans to make music videos for all songs on the standard version of Cry Baby. 
- Some songs that didn't make Cry Baby had their studio versions leaked, including Bombs On Monday, Night Mime, and You Love I.
- Later in 2016, Hot Topic released a special pink/white exclusive vinyl.
- ↑ https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=MELANIE+MARTINEZ&ti=CRY+BABY
- ↑ http://noisey.vice.com/blog/stream-melanie-martinezs-debut-lp-cry-baby
- ↑ http://melaniemartinezmusic.tumblr.com/post/125193561788/what-were-some-other-titles-you-were-considering
- ↑ http://melaniemartinezmusic.tumblr.com/post/125197208423/will-alphabet-boy-have-a-video